Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:41:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Just to make the mud a little less clear and to concur with Bill's observation about vapor dispersal here is a case study of my most troublesome colony.

4/27 First spring inspection. Saw marked queen, strong so pulled 2 frames of brood in equalization management. Filled 7 mediums (230#) over season plus top deep for winter stores. Definitely in the top tier of producers. On first post harvest test 8/21 had count of 21. All the other tested colonies in that yard (3) had counts of 1, 12, and 4. The 21 count alarmed me because it was so out of line with all I had seen to that point in any yard and having an unopened box of Checkmite that I had not used in over a decade I thought I could knock them down and see if Checkmite was again effective. So 2 strips in that one colony. The proper dose by label would be 3 or 4 going by one strip per 5 frames of bees but this was an  experiment to see if it worked at all and maybe a quick knock down. 9/10 began a 3 round course  of OAV with Pro-Vap 110. 9/28 did a post treatment count on the 4 colonies. They went from 1 to 0, 12 to 3, 4 to 0 and 21 to 38. That is after 3 OAV at 5 days plus 2 Checkmite strips. So I checked the colony next to it on the stand and got a count of 15. So I had 38 and 15 next to each other and all tested within 50 feet were less than 3. Those 2 got a 4th OAV since I was there on 9/28. Counted again on 10/8 and went from 38 to 56. ????

Like Bill I wondered how well the vapors were dispersing so did a few with the telescoping lid off and was surprised at how little vapor was coming up through the frames. I guess I expected a cloud but saw only light wisps. As I previously mentioned I have observed "dusted" bees at the entrance a few hours after application so still believe that dispersal is pretty good and it seemed to be effective in almost all colonies but would like to hear others observation.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2