From:
Debbie Dahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Dahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:22:06 -0500
This is a concern that I have with our livestock too.  If I get a hive or
two, my goats will probably have fun jumping on them, as goats are quite
nimble-footed and it's a game to them to play "king/queen" of the mountain.
The "mountain" may just be a pile of rocks, but a nice square set of boxes
would be even better.  :)

Am kind of surprised that the bull didn't get stung alot or run off by the
bees though.

Question - is it possible to mount a hive in a tree or hang it up, to avoid
the livestock getting it?

We also have a resident bear that is seen on occasion.  Although I promote
leaving wildlife alone, I don't want to spend the money on a hive, deal with
the disease concerns, and then find out the bear has raided my honey.  <G>

Debbie Dahl
Oklahoma