From:
Karla Eisen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2014 07:37:01 -0400
I was recently in the UK and had the opportunity to work some bees and found this set up most curious. One small holder did mention the native honeybee builds a smaller cavity, but I would think there is great influence of Italian and other stocks.
 Is swarm prevention and management much more aggressive there I wonder?  I don't see how I could keep bees in a single deep (US) or the (UK) national set up of one box without removing brood on a regular basis at least during May and June, but possibly earlier and later as well. I will add that it was late April when I was there- and most every colony I saw did have some swarm cells - not too different from my 2Deep1 Medium set up over here.  :-)