From:
Bee Breeding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 12:38:45 -0500
I would venture to say that resistance may already be developing in some areas.  I live in a very agricultural part of Indiana (near Richmond).  I have been capturing local swarm in areas I know that neonics are used.  I have had losses in the Spring when planting has been occurring such as featured in this YouTube Video (http://youtu.be/VDKN8TTTku4)  All hives featured in this video went on to produce 100 or greater pounds of honey per hive last year.  Don't know if they will successfully overwinter yet, but everything looks good so far.  They all are being housed in three deeps and each went into winter with an entirely full deep last year.

I have been capturing swarms in traps the last two years.  During the last three years I have found MANY feral hives in trees and abandoned structures.  I have not purchased or split any bees in the last two years and have gone from 3 hives to 30.  None of they bees have been fed or treated with anything yet they not only are surviving they are thriving.  Honey crops have been excellent.  There are few beekeepers around here, so I don't feel as though I am capturing other people's bees all of the time, though I may have had a couple.

When I began keeping bees I was told that there were no more feral hives.  I do not believe this to be so.  I have had great success with trap placement near old apiary sites that had bee hives 25 - 30 years ago.  The beekeepers and kept hives are long gone, but I believe there are still feral swarms living in those areas.  This leads me to believe they have an ability to live in neonic areas as well as cope with all of the other maladies taking out other bees.  Once I find a spot where swarms occupy my traps I have had repeat captures in those locations year after year.

Jason Bruns

LetMBee.com