From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:49:56 -0500
To my great surprise,
I found that the fall invasion rate was one of the most important factors
in predicting mite populations in fall.  No matter how resistant the bees,
or how good the IPM program, fall invasion of moderate numbers of mites
could undo everything!

Thanks for that reply.  I don't doubt your data or the other data at all.
And I have not done any of my own research in that area.    Invasion concept
though would require a massing force somewhere else.....  for them to
"invade" at the rates I have seen published,  would require some spot nearby
with hives approaching the 100% infestation rate.

I also considered the fall die back as part of the infected % increase.  Do
we know or suspect that the mites can "determine" which bees are going to
die, and choose to stay home?  Or do the altruistic deaths also take a equal
percentage of mites??

Is there some factor in the mites that triggers a huge boom in population
growth at the last part of the season? Or maybe a sudden surge in survival
because of tempeture??(mite survival)

Or is the mites intentionally go on walkabout just before fall to infest
other hives??

Just thoughts in my head...

Fully understanding the rise in count is realistic  and needs to be
managed.....

Charlie