From:
Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2018 17:10:00 -0400
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was recently asked to write an assessment of the neonics targeted for the
> nursery trade group--University of California Nursery and Floriculture
> Alliance.
> It's brief and simple.
> You can read it here: link

This was on page 2 of the above link:
.... “While pesticides tend to be a focus of media attention and often right- fully so, perhaps the biggest challenge for U.S. bee- keepers today is Varroa destructor. This aptly named parasitic mite feeds on bee hemolymph (“blood”), simultaneously transmitting pathogens and sup- pressing bee immunity. Often, several mites feed on a single bee.”

Having just returned from the annual SABA Seminar here in NY State, I heard soon to be “Dr.” Samuel Ramsey, the scientist who discovered that the varroa mite feeds not on the bee’s haemolymph but on their “fat” bodies. His slides were fascinating, and clearly showed the varroa mite ingesting “fat” body by freezing the bee with the varroa mite eating by nitrous oxide and then slicing the frozen bee and varroa  for the slides. I didn’t get past this to read Randy’s article and was wondering if I am missing something regarding the varroa or it was a faux pas on the writer of this particular article.

Deb Corcoran