From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:34:04 -0500
> Seems peculiar, wouldnt you expect higher moisture honey to stratify to
> the top, as it is ( marginally) less dense?

I agree . The USDA rep surprised me with his homemade tool which looked like
a approx 40 in. piece of 3/8 in. metal  welded to a small metal sample cup.
The rep said the correct way to test was to take the sample at the bottom. I
was surprised when he said the honey sample from the bottom was higher.
I also said I had NEVER seen a sample taken from the bottom before by the
USDA or a honey packer.

have others which  put honey under government honey loan or sold honey to a
packer ever saw a sample taken from the bottom of a barrel?

I will say he dripped honey making a mess getting his samples.

I could go out to my stored drums and sample from the top and the bottom and
report back. All that would be need would be a drop from the bottom of the
drum but not sure without a tool like he used exactly how to get the sample.
Possibly a hollow tube with a finger over the end until the bottom and then
move the finger letting some honey in.

bob