From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:16:49 -0700
At least in the US, and I assume all countries which belong to the
international union, the copyright rests with the original author.
Permission and any arrangement for payment must be made directly with the
author.  I don't think the fact that an archive of the list on which it is
posted transfers any title or control to the list owner.

If material is quoted or included in an article you wish to use, you must
approach the author of the quoted passage as well.

Thanks for asking and troubling to comply.  All those who don't almost
guarantee that one or more government(s) will jump in with legislation.
Once this wonderful tool has legislation of any kind attached to it, the
threshold is lowered and more control will follow.

>I would like to use some of the material from the BEE-L postings in the
>Irish Beekeeping magazine from time to time. I would like someone to tell me
>what the ethics, rules, do's and dont's are, as I have no experience in
>doing this. Will I have to get the permission of the contributor whose
>material I use?

Probably not, but that rests with the copyright holder.