From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:16:56 -0600
>I don't think there has ever been an implied "seal of approval" on any
ad placed in any magazine.

I am sure Aaron is correct and than Aaron for detailing my post!

beekeeping history:

Many of us Old timers remember the stir caused with the full page color adds
by "Huck Babcock".
I am sure both Joe G. & Kim F. does also! For those maybe not even born back
then Huck was a real "Huckster". Huck took thousands of dollars for queens
and packages and did not produce the packages or the queens most of the
time. Huck claimed his queens were the best around in his full page adds.

Huck had the largest and most colorful adds by far. The other sellers of
queens & packages only had small adds.

When you were lucky enough to catch Huck by phone he always had a song and
dance and would say you would get your queens or packages next or he had a
long waiting list but you would be moved to the head of the line.

Many times the conversation would end fast as Huck would say your order was
going to be sent the next day. You got off the phone with a smile on your
face which the next week would be a frown and trying to contact Huck again!

Now folks this went on for several years and each month complaints were sent
to the editors of the bee mags. Finally I believe the mags quit running
Hucks adds.

 *then*

Huck came back after a short period with new full page adds with a different
apiary name. I think "Blue Ridge Apiaries" and convinced the mags he had
turned over a new leaf. A few months after the full page color adds started
running the same complaints started again. Send money but no queens or
packages! After awhile the mags quit running his adds and that was the last
I heard of Huck Babcock.

Huck Babcock is a name old timers all remember but not for beekeeping
achievements.

bob