Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:45:34 -0400
Recieved this in ag news sent to our greenhouse.  Apiary Inspection Program
will protect native honeybees. The rising number of non-native parasitic
mite and the small hive beetle, non-native predators against which the
honeybee has no natural defense, causing the decline of wild and managed bee
populations. Has prompted NY. assemblyman Mageeto introduce A.10235, which
creates the Apiary Inspection Program to set appropiate tolerance levels for
the imported pest. This pogram will ensure that beekeepers are poperly
treating ther bees for diseases and pest. To prevent the intoduction of
small hive beetle, it allows the inspection of migratory beekeepers entering
New York. This bill has passed both houses and awaits the Governor's
signature.
It also states that the state budget allocates $200,000 for Apiary
Inspection Program and another $75,000 for Apiary Research as well as ( but
maybe not just be related) $787,000 to Cornell Integrated Pest Management.
Sounds like someone has taken Bees serious . Wish I had more info, maybe
someone else has more.