From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:52:53 GMT
Naive beekeeper that I am, when I found what looked to be wild bees
nesting behind a retaining wall by the driveway, I left them alone.
They had slightly smaller diameter bodies, a little longer/more
slender than my bees and black and yellow stripes.  Well, I've now
figured out that these were yellow jackets.

After getting stung once myself, have to mow right in front of their
flight path/entrance and am concerned about my children getting stung
by these more aggresive insects, I decided to spray and get rid of
them.  I've seen at least five or six large, queen-like, flying
insects come staggering out of this nest since since I started
spraying.  I may have missed more as at least two of those flew away.
These insects are easily three to five times the size of the yellow
jacktes.

Does anyone know how may queens are in a yellow jacket nest?  Are
these large insects something else like drones?  I may be bent on
killing them but I am still curious about them.
-- John Taylor --
Wild Rose Creek Apiary
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!