Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 09:19:20 PDT
<< However, it is frequently questioned as to whether the
euro-Carniolans and the US-Carniolans are still genetically closely
related -- anyone know?>>

Hello Gang,

Sue Cobey gave a most interesting talk and slide show at
the New Hampshire Beekeepers Assc, meeting recently.

She said that the bees now available as NWC in the US are
related to, but have been crossed with other races and are therefore
not the same bees that are found in their native place of
origin.

To say that Carniolans ,(NWC), have a propensity to swarm is like
saying that Italian bees are mean. All hives can swarm, it's a
welcomed trait, without it we could not make increase.

I'd rather focus on the positive aspects, like shutting down the
queen from laying in a time of dearth, or going through the winter
with a small cluster,thus consuming a small quantity of stores.

And of course,they like working in light rain, starting early in the day.
Queens also begin to lay early in the Spring. And of course, there
is the admirable quality of gentleness.

They do have a lot going for them. Oh, yes, I did not mention
their resistance to T-mites.

Grist Mill Apiary

Ernie Gregoire

Canaan, NH. USA