From:
"Hanlin, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:45:54 -0600
I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have about the blue
orchard bee.  We use it at the north central plant introduction station here
in Ames Iowa.  The bee is related to alfalfa leaf cutter bees except that it
works very well in the cooler fall temperatures of spring (65 F.)  We use it
to pollinate Brassica plants (kale, mustards, broccoli, etc.) and some on
fruit trees (apple, pear, cherry).  The bee does not produce any honey for
collection, so is not beneficial in this way.  One of the requirements is a
good supply of mud, for it makes it's larval compartments with it.  A
disadvantage with this bee is that by mid-July, it goes into a diapause
state forced on it by the weather (temperatures of 80 F.).  Most people use
wooden domiciles or blocks of wood with specific size holes drilled in them,
however, we use pieces of 2" PVC pipe filled with cardboard straws as the
domiciles.  This kind of gives you only a quick over view of this bee, but I
would be happy to answer any more specific questions you may have.

Steve J. Hanlin
Entomologist - Controlled Pollination
USDA; ARS
North Central Regional Plant Introdution Station
State Ave. & Mortensen Rd.
Ames, IA  50011
Phone - 515-294-1936
Fax - 515-294-1903