Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:59:00 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
I met a local beekeeper, Bob Hughes, a number of years ago at a local fair and asked a lot of questions. He said I could stop by anytime, but it wasn't until two years later that I had the chance to do so. We visited one of his bee yards, he opened the lid on a hive (this was mid summer, a lot of honey on the bees) and I got stung. I liked the smell of the pine woodenware, the aroma of the wax and honey. The bees clearly seemed to know what they were doing, and Bob's relationship to his bees was somehow compelling for me. I announced to my four kids at dinner later that I was planning to get some bees, and at least one cried at the prospect. Now six years later I have about 18 hives, manage to produce a decent crop while not venturing more than 5 miles from home, and find the relationship with the bees a source of continual inspiration. The problem of low overwintering survival rates in the last two years has been frustrating, but in the overall scheme of things I know that !
 beekeepers have weathered far worse than I have, such when varroa and trachea mites first arrived. I have also managed a bit of AFB, with some successful recoveries and some losses. With AFB the toughest issue for me is whether to treat prophyllactively (every year) or inspect often enough to treat only when an infection is present. I still use wax foundation, and even hot wire my frames, but only run two wires down the brood frames. I do a number of school presentations, which I enjoy ( but avoid doing too many - it can seem like a full time job). My goal is to get organized enough to have that work done in advance in the winter months, instead of at the last minute, but it may take me a few more years to reach that goal. I'm grateful to Bob, the beekeepers of New Jersey and elsewhere, those overseas who contribute to this list, and all those men and women who, like the honey robbers 8,000 years ago in Spain, feel obliged to spread the word about just what amazing creature!
 s honey bees are. Curtis Crowell Hightstown, NJ

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2