From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:36:19 +0100
 >Have you overwintered with the OMFs?

I think I can add some to this OMF.

I started using OMF long time before Varroa came to Denmark.

The reason was that I am using pyrostor hives that is very tight and to make
it worse I cover the supers with a plastic sheet that the bees proporlize
all around. This gave me a lot of bad wet drops from debris and other stuff,
so I changed my boards to screened, to overcome this.

The result was telling me that this was the way to go. After starting using
the OMF boards all the bad stuff disappeared. I saw no difference in crop,
except that it increased as I got used to the new approach. The winter
looses dropt down, and special the Nosema problem also went better because
of the dry hive. Even when the snow covered the hives there was no bad
influence of the hive. I have my hives on pallets so the hives are about 20
cm from ground. the OMF provides a very well ventilation.

after we got Varroa, it was advised that we used warroscreens to monitor the
Varroa fall down. It has never here in Denmark been mentioned that Open mesh
floors has use  in directly Varroa control, the most it could do was helping
in monitoring the varroa attach. If you think that the few mites that fall
through the mesh means anything in fight of the varroa , I am afraid that
this believe has no practical value.

Open mesh Board is only for ventilation and maybe observation, and I am
afraid I have to say Period here. At least I have the full trouble with
Varroa like anybody else have here in Denmark.

I have used OMF for more than 30 years now all Year round and don't want to
drop it.

Best regards Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software
Updated 10-08-2001 Added grouping  and colouring of hives + a lot more.

New update coming up soon with full accounting and Handheld (Palm Os)
support.

CD with  the new stuff will be send to registered Users

all you need and a little more. being a little beekeeper or a big queen
breeder
free of charge up to 10 hives.
Language added : Dutch, Portuguese, French

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>