From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:00:07 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> I am certain there are several persons on this list that can add to our
> understanding of whether it is reasonable to comment on whether 50, 800, or
> any other number of breeder queens can be said to provide insufficient
> genetic diversity.  I'd like to hear them.

The assumption here, and its inherent problem, is that you have 50, 100,
or 800 sets of identical bees. So there are, at most, 800 genetically
different bees in the US or whatever country. That is obviously
impossible. It also assumes that all beekeepers get their bees from
these suppliers, another fallacy.

Add isolation of some bees that became distinct races and were not
"genetically diverse", a term that can only be applied in the broadest
sense.They seemed to get along just fine.

Add the impossibility of totally controlling swarms and open mating.
When only two of those supposed pure bred bees mate, the permutations
and combinations of their progeny would totally corrupt genetic purity.
(Just check your brothers and sisters.)

I think we are making much of nothing.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine