From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 21:55:51 -0300
Dick Wallingford:
        It is too bad you got negative responses to your questions.  It
would seem to me that if anyone was interested in replying, they would do
so.  Others need not even take the time for the kind of response they
gave you, or any other response!
        It would seem that one of your local beekeeping associations must
have some insights they can share with beginners.  This would make
interesting material for a beginner's workshop, for instance.
        Here in PEI, canada, we are free from Varroa and Acarine Mites.
Our borders are closed to imports, even from neighboring Provinces.  the
one exception is New Zealand - Australia.  This year we were unable to
bring in any bees due to the restrictions in intervening countries, with
regard planes with live bees landing, even for refuelling.  I think one
load got to Vancouver, but as far as I know no  others.  This puts a real
strain on our beekeepers, as overwintering is difficult in this climate.
Some of our beekeepers are now trying to improve their queen rearing
capabilities in the hope of providing our own supplies in the future.
        This may be too long,  if it is I apologize.  Good luck in your
beekeeping.  It would be interesting to hear something of what it is like
in your country.

        From the Cradle of Confederation