From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2017 05:09:47 -0800
>If that's the case, do you think the same thing happens when bees winter
in storage sheds under climate control?

Bill, I'm just going on reports that I've heard from Canadians who have
checked inside their hives during storage, so no personal experience.  But
yes, that is certainly plausible.

The question then, as Mike pointed out, is whether it is the queen or the
workers that initiate the process.  It takes both to produce brood.  The
workers control the necessary food to the queen and larvae, but it could be
pheromonal cues from the queen that trigger worker behavior and physiology.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA