Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 23:34:28 -0400
It was brought to my attention today that a new report confirms the
perils of drawing too much new comb.

This has been one area where new beekeepers are -- IMO -- more often
than not led astray, and I have said so whenever I get the chance, often
to a round of booos.

Typical official recommendations are to start on foundation and in my
experience that typically leads to slow buildup -- if the bees don't
starve -- poor crops, and poor wintering,  on average.

As with everything in beekeeping, just because ALL such hives don't do
poorly or die, some will say, "See", it works.  "If I can do it, why
can't everyone?"

Regardless of what the pundits may say, old beekeepers know that drawn
comb is a valuable asset.

At what stage -- or age -- it becomes a liability depends on many
factors, a big one being, did you ever use coumaphos?

Read it here:
Comb Management: National Management Survey 2010-2011
http://beeinformed.org/2012/05/national-management-survey-2010-2011-release-comb-management/