From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:25:33 -0400
Thanks to everyone, who provided insights both on-line and privately.  It appears I dodged (yet another) bullet, as the bear did not attack the hives again.  It was back the following night, as evidenced by the damage to my Better Half’s bird feeders (Yes, I know they should not be set up year-round, but I have been unable to convince her to change her practice).  Either I was able to clear enough brush from the fence to give it sufficient deterrent power, or the bees mounted such a strong defense that the bear chose to leave them alone.  To Randy’s point, the hives that were knocked over were all intact, so the bear did not get a meal and may simply have chosen to move on (although, as I wrote, it did take one more hit off of the bird feeders).  It is also bear season now (it started that same day, 01 Sep), so someone may have solved my problem for me.

As for my foot, I had a delayed reaction to all the stings (10 – 12 on the top of the foot).  About 36 hours later I noticed that my foot felt very tight in the boot.  Took  the boot off, and my foot looked like a sausage, even the toes (mmmm, Viena sausage).  Kind of scary.  Was especially interesting, when I had to explain it to the doctor at my next examination a few days later.  The swelling lasted a good five days, but no itching, which also surprised me.  I have to keep the boot on for a few more weeks, unfortunatley, but at least I am off of the crutches.  Hoping to pull supers and extract next weekend, boot and all.

Again, thanks, everyone,

(Still) Gimpy Bill
Claremont, NH
New England, US