From:
Mark Hoguet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:58:07 -0400
Hello to everyone on BEE-L,
Not too long ago someone on the list had a question about a beetle that
had invaded one of his hives. I recently came across a new, very
sophisticated pattern recognition software that can help farmers,
beekeepers, and entomologists accurately identify all sorts of insects.
The software is called DAISY and is being developed by a British-American
company called Morpho Inc. ( www.morpho-inc.com )You simply take a
photograph of the insect you want to identify with a digital camera:
DAISY then scans the image and compares it with images of  already
identified species stored in its database. If you wish to read a short
article about DAISY, go to:

www.bbc.co.uk/science/tw/items/010530_automaticinsectidentifier.shtml

or

http://chasseur.usc.edu/pups/projects/daisy.html

which will tell you about DAISY in detail. A beekeeper using this
software could accurately identify mites, moths, beetles, and bees in
minutes. Apparently, this software can even scan an insect's wing! I
thought it sounded like fun. Morpho's CEO is Dr. Stephen Buchmann, author
of "The Forgotten Pollinators." For the record, I am not affiliated with
this company in any way.

Mark