From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:39:24 -0800
Yes, there are thousands of ways to do this.  I used to put the queen below an excluder and crushed any queen cells that were made above it.  After nine days, every single egg above the excluder has hatched and pupated, now unavailable for a queen cell.

Then I'd pull the bottom box away, set it up on a new hive stand, then shake a few frames of nurse bees from the bottom box into this uppper box (now sitting on the original hive stand).  Worked pretty good.

Then a young beekeeper told me to put all my open brood above an excluder (with the queen below) and come back after two days and kill any apparent queen cells.  You still have lots of larvae and nurse bees.  After these two days and the elimination of any queen cells you can introduce your grafts.

I didn't believe him until I did it.  Works great.  No cloake board needed, just an excluder.  You have a queen-right cell builder and cell finisher all in one.

Sometimes old dogs can learn new tricks, especially the simple ones.

Grant
Jackson, MO