From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 11:45:18 -0600
> (Winter is over, so I hope I won't get too much flack from the
> tiny but vocal minority of beekeepers who chant the mantra
> "insulation, insulation, insulation" because they keep bees
> where extreme winter conditions exist.)

It is interesting to see how -- regardless of how many qualifying
statements have been made -- including many recommending various
ventillation schemes -- somehow those who advocate insulation under some
conditions, are assumed by some not to appreciate or promote proper
ventillation.  I don't know of any beekeepers who insulate who do not
also make special provisions for ventillation.  The two concepts --
insulation and ventilation -- are complementary, not not diametrically
opposed, although they are often assumed to be so, by those who have not
given the matter much thought.

Just to repeat one more time, those of us who insulate, also use special
holes to ensure adequate ventillation.  Some put them on top, some on
the bottom, and some in the middle of the hive, but AFAIK, we all use
special ventillation tricks. The optimal amount of ventillation varies
with time of year and the condition of the bees, as well as locale.
Under many conditions, it is possible to overdo ventillation, and get
reduced crops, or weakened bees.  As with most things, moderation,
attention to the ambient conditions, and careful observation of the bees
is usually the safest course.   The bees will tell the beekeeper what to
do, if only the beekeeper is observant.

Whether we are discussing hive volume, amount of feed, hive colour,
location and number of entrances, height from ground, choice of
location, shade or no shade, etc., etc., etc., we are simply discussing
how to achieve optimal conditions for our bees. The methods suitable
establishing ideal conditions under one environment, may be totally
unsuitable at another place or time.  Understanding how all these
factors can be managed to provide a hive that is not too big or too
small, to hot or too cold, too damp or too dry is at the root of good
and successful beekeeping.  Suggesting that any of the above factors, or
others, are 'good' or 'bad' is comparable to saying screwdrivers are
'good', but hammers are 'bad'.

I hope that we can all manage to understand that the essence of good
beekeeping is observing and understanding our bees, and contemplating
the possible ways of improving conditions for the bees.  That means
considering, and using, all tools at our disposal in the proper time and
place.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com