From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:02:39 -0400
Anthony N Morgan wrote:
> 5. The hives should be moved back outdoors before there is a risk of
> cleansing flights beginning.
> 6. The ideal is a draught free, unheated, unlighted, preferably unused
> (for other purposes) outhouse.

Some time ago there were some good articles on bee houses built
in Canada for overwintering. What struck me is they were well
insulated to keep the cold in as well as keep it out. They wanted
to maintain a constant temperature so the bees would not break
cluster which is what Anthony also described as concerns.
Here in Maine, bees overwinter outside just fine.
Bill Truesdell
BAth, ME