From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1993 09:13:39 PST
Mary, I'll give you my 2-bits worth about your questions.  I've been
a hobby bee-keeper for 15 years but there are a lot of variables in
bee-keeping others will have different opinions.

1. Checking for queens - This is usually not necessary if you re-queen
every year and give the bees plenty of room.  However, some people like
to check every 7-10 days during the swarming season.  Swarm cell are
ALMOST always made on the bottom bars of the top brood body (2 deeps
are usually used for brood rearing here in Washington State).  Just
loosen the brood body and tip it up on end to examin the bottom bars.
You have to look sharp 'cause sometimes the bees hide a swarm cell near
the end bars.  Taking each frame out for examination is much too labor
intensive and upsets the bees.  (Many keepers believe that honey production
is decreased every time you open a hive).  By the way, the queen cells are
easy to identify, being shaped somewhat like a peanut and hanging downward.

2.  Honey production - This depends on where you are, temperatures through
the year, flowers available and many other variables.  Your note says that
you are taking the wax - this will decrease your production as it takes
something like 5 (?) pounds of honey to make 1 pound of wax.  In my area,
I get 50 to 100 pounds of honey per hive and 4 to 5 deep supers are needed
to hold all those bees & honey.  I usually harvest the entire crop in
September.  If you try to get by with just your brood bodies and a shallow
super, your bees will almost certainly try to swarm.

I strongly suggest you get a copy of "First Lessons in Beekeeping" by Dadant.
You can also check with your local Cooperative Extension office for bee info.
and it's always a good idea to join a beekeeper's association - most areas
have at least one and your Extension office may be able to track one down for
you.

Good luck & enjoy your bees!

Dave Pehling, WSU Cooperative Extension