From:
Rob Bidleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 20:03:41 -0700
Propolis has been researched from various angles. There is a wealth of
information out there. I'm afraid I haven't the time to type 30-40 pages
into my computer, especially when it would be much easier for you <since
YOU are the one looking> to trot on over to the local library.

   I _will_ tell you that propolis is the gummy exudate of various trees
collected by bees NOT just to "glue" the hive together. That is a
function of propolis. If you have ever found a dead mouse carcass in a hive;
covered with propolis you will realize the secondary functions of it:
it prevents organic debris which cannot be carried out of the hive from
rotting and spreading disease etc. to the hive. I opened one of these
mouse "cocoons" once only to be amazed by the preservation achieved by
the propolis. It is no coincidence that the Egyptians formula for embalming
was rich in propolis <also a bit of beeswax>. They also were very
knowledgable about Royal Jelly but that's off the subject. Propolis is a
very strong immune support when taken internally. It has also been
discovered that it has antimicrobial properties. The color and properties
of propolis vary since the species of trees vary from locale to locale.
I find Eucalyptus to be one of the strongest of antimicrobial propolis'.
Poplar has it's own unique odor and color. I am currently isolating hives
in large clumps of Eucalyptus north of San Franciso in order to collect
large amounts of single-source propolis. The various trees that are
collected from are indeed a study in themselves.
Hope this has been of some help in getting you started.
good luck
         %   [log in to unmask]   box 721 healdsburg ca 95448   %