From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:00:14 +0100
Bob said: "The sting of the honeybee will always limit the members of the
craft of
beekeeping"

I just love this list!  You can ask an innocent question and get such vivid
answers it is like u were there doing it yourself. Bob's description of
stings in commercial beekeeping is a classic. But..........apart from doubts
on its effect on beekeeper recruitment, in all seriousness how does that
account read to say a Health & Safety Officer  in an industrial company?  Do
we have any on the list who could reply? All I know is that,  on one
occasion when I gave my standard lecture on beekeeping equipment, two UK H&S
officers said that if anyone came along at the factory to start such an
operation, they would be sent away to think again.    (My standard talk to
associations introduces my Long Deep hive, which got endorsement from H&S as
it is the only pattern of hive on sale in UK that keeps the need to lift
heavy loads within the guidelines issued to all employers under the Health &
Safety at Work Act.   But risks to health from heavy lifting are another
topic).

Does Bob's description indicate comercial beekeeping is completely
out-of-date as an industrial activity, a quaint relic of former pioneering
times  - if so,  do those engaged at the commecial level feel it can go on
indefinitely without a radical re-think?

As Bob said, a hobbyist can pick the time to work bees and can get phases of
work (clearing, extracing and returning supers, re-queening, winter feeding)
completed while conditions are still favourable.  That seems a major reason
why hobby beekeeping is most enjoyable if u keep down the number of hives to
what u can deal with easily - but how often do we hear of beekeepers,  who
have had one good year,  planning to double the business.

There is so much anecdotal evidence of beekeepers living long, as Bob
showed.......due to getting stung regularly and heavily.  What a pity we do
not agree it is something in the honey that helps .......But as they say,
'if u want to live long, u have to give up everything that makes u want to
live long'.    So the idea of keeping bees in peace and harmony with nature
will clearly have to go,  along with ..........I leave u all to ponder the
list.

Robin Dartington