From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2017 09:03:20 -0500
After reading the Dadant System of Beekeeping by C.P. Dadant, I have wondered why his hive and system of management were not more popular, especially for non-commercial beekeepers. Having all the brood in one extra deep chamber with his spacing and follower board to control brood chamber size and only honey in medium depth boxes above seems superior to 8-frame mediums with brood in 4 boxes at the peak (and then honey supers above that).

Interesting,  right now I have one hive that could be called a Jumbo,  it was a box of frames sitting on an empty that a swarm moved into.  They followed all 10 of the frames completely.  Quite unusual.

In that I am looking closely at what Walt Write wrote back in 2003? Ish in ABJ  about where they like to store pollen and honey.   Kind of interesting to watch these huge long frames and their development.  They are a bit awkward to handle  even if they had a full frame I wounder how strong the support in the middle is.

Charles