From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:48:36 -0700
At 06:57 AM 4/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I have been lurking on this list for several months now.  I am a 1st grade
>teacher in Mariposa, CA near Yosemite NP.  I just found out that I cannot
>have an active observation hive in my rural classroom due to insurance
>reasons.  There is a fear that a child will be stung and have a severe
>reaction.

That is easy to understand and I agree. Keeping bees is dangerous to the
public and having insurance is a good idea, in fact I am sure your school
districts policy covers this activity but the powers that bee do not want
your class to become educated about bees, heck one of them may be bit by
the bee bug and bypass higher education to become a beekeeper and what a
loss this would be to the system of higher eructation in California.

I would look for a local beekeeper to come in with a Observation Hive so
your students can experience the thrill of seeing the bees in the hive. Not
the same as having your own class room hive but an activity that should get
by your school administrators.

>We have been doing an extensive study of the honeybee throughout the year,
>and I now have 21 little bee experts who have a great respect and fondness
>for the little creatures.  My plan was to culminate the study by activating
>a hive in the classroom so that the kids could see first hand all of the
>behaviors that they have been studying.  We would then turn around and
>invite other classes in to educate them.
>
>However, now I must revert to plan B o C.  Plan B would be to have a local
>(Central Vall

Humm, maybe that's what you were going to do anyway, part of your message
was ate by censure bugs.

ttul, the OLd Drone

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!