From:
Andrew Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:41:42 -0400
The recent criticisms of Maine's Master Beekeepers has me wondering why
I am contemplating taking the Master Beekeeper Exam at EAS next summer.
I hope my motives are in keeping with the spirit of the program.   In
part I view the the program as a way to judge how much I really know
about honey bees and as a hobbyist with about 30 hives there is only so
much I can do with my bees as "proof." (As an example I'm fortunate to
have lived in an area without much AFB and have never had to deal with it)

Do I think the knowledge gained in the process of pursuing the Master
Beekeeper designation will make me a better beekeeper and consequently a
better bee school teacher?  Of course.

Do I think that once I have the designation my bees will become
magically immune to pests and predators?  Of course not.

Do I think that commercial beekeepers in my area (I live in wild
blueberry territory) will seek me out with job offers and genuflect in
my presence?  Absolutely not!

Regardless if I decide to pursue the designation I intend to keep
learning about bees and sharing that knowledge as I can.   Reading Bee-L
every day is part of my continuing education.  I tend to keep my fingers
off the keyboard here preferring to keep my mouth shut and ears open.

- Jonesboro, Maine (on the coast)