From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 23:17:00 -0600
> In his post of March 29 Paul van Westendorp writes as if he knew
> little about the Popodi Varroa Treatment Device.
>
> The truth is that he has had one in his office in Cloverdale, B.C.
> since March 12. It was hand delivered to his office. The
> manufacturer made sample units available to interested apiculturists
> in B.C. and Eastern Canada. Kerry Clark and John Gates - both
> British Columbia apiculturists - also have sample VTDs.

The mere fact that these men have been given the devices is in no
way proof that they feel they know enough about the device to comment
favourably on it, or that the devices work as claimed or have any
legitimacy whatsoever. Besides, conclusive field tests are hard to
administer in just 17 days.

*At least* one season and a number of *independent* tests of some
size will be required to prove that the device *might* work as
claimed.

I hope you don't expect anyone to endorse the product merely on the
strength of having held one and having read the instructions.

We all remember cold fusion, so I think most of us require high
quality proof -- and lots of it.

In treatment of mites, numerous 'cures' have had some short term
success in limited circumstances, but we find ourselves with only a
few approaches that have stood the test of time and proven effective
*most of the time* with acceptable collateral damage *most of the
time*.

I know of no reputable scientist that would claim 100% success at
anything so difficult to measure as mite suppression, unless perhaps
the 'cure' was cyanide administered liberally <grin>.  Marketers can
get 100% kills any time.

> Certainly these are busy people who may not have time to go through
> their "In" baskets personally each and every day, but Van
> Westendorp's comments are provocative when one knows he is familiar
> with the device and has for some time had the opportunity to use it.

I find it it curious that the writer feels free to reveal that PVW has
received a VTD (I am assuming he did not ask PVW's consent) when the
writer does not reveal the name of the one researcher at the one
(anonymous) university that apparently has consented to test the
device in scientific circumstances.

I think PVW may have had a VTD long enough to feel genuine skepticism.
I know the press releases alone were sufficient in my case. From what
I know about mites, and formic acid, and bees and people, I really
have my doubts.  Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong. The problem
is THERE IS NO PROOF.

> It is true that formic acid is potentially hazardous.  It is a
> common industrial chemical and all devices for handling it -
> including the Popodi VTD - come with instructions for safe use.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that in Canada only 65% formic is
approved for use in bees.  I could be wrong. But that would make a
device requiring 85% of dubious legality.

<snip>

> When the reports become available we look forward to the comments of
> Paul van Westendorp, Dr. Nasser and all who are interested in
> controlling Varroa jacobsoni.

I'm sure we will all enjoy that.

And I'm sure we'd feel a lot more comfortable if the marketing were
held off until there was some credible proof that it works.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>