From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:37:05 -0500
Bob writes:
> 2 4 D is a member of the dioxin family and the infamous Viet Nam herbicide Agent Orange.

I am sorry but this is not true. Dioxins are present in 2 4 D as a byproduct of the manufacturing process.

(a) the   chlorinated  dibenzo- p -dioxins (CDDs) are  present in 2,4-D  only in trace  amounts which are  difficult to separate  and identify; (b) 2,4-D is rapidly degraded in the environment;

One formulation  of  2,4-D  was found  to  contain  6.8 µg/kg  of  2,3,7,8- tetrachlorinated  dibenzo- para -dioxin    (Hagenmaier, 1986).   In other amine  and  ester  formulations,  levels  of  this  dioxin  were   non- detectable

source: WHO