From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:05:41 -0300
Thanks for sharing that Christina.

I note that at the end it discusses how blanket use of systemics has
replaced IPM.   The current plans to regulate neonicotinoid use in Ontario
have not had any discussion of this list yet.  Ontario is planning to stop
the almost total use of neonics and replace that with a system where
farmers will have to apply to use them showing some evidence of need (i.e.
farm is in an area where a particular pest is prevalent.....).   I was told
by a beekeeper present at some of the discussions that the province's
agronomists conceded that the majority of neonicotinoid use was unnecessary.

This seems like a promising compromise, IMHO.

Also of interest is that tests are showing that with changes to sticker
formulation,  lubricant type, and machinery design the dust from seed
planting is reduced by about 40%.   That is not really enough to solve the
problem, and may have contributed to the new regulations that are planned.

Stan