From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:18:04 -0500
a Peter Borst snip followed by> my comments or questions...

Are you saying therefore to act upon information that is lacking worth? Do something, even if it's wrong? (Heard that before)

> No Peter I am suggesting that the basic decision making process tells you to collect information first and then after you wind you way thru the PROCESS you make a decision as the last step.  It is not the other way around.  Consequently (as anyone should know who has followed this PROCESS) any information that cannot be applied in a time effective manner is of very little to no value. Therefore (speaking only in regards to practical and practiced beekeeping) field type analysis that can provide quick (and typically much cheaper) information is much more useful than a lot of lab work.  IMHO quite often the stated cost of this work just places it outside my own measure of a reasonable expense.

>Hopefully most folks are here to make 'well informed' decisions based on science and the best information at that point in time and the only real value in science (ie something you can hang your hat on) is the application of this information.  'Doing something, even if it is wrong' in the application of the decision making process is ALWAYS..... 'go collect more information before any decision is made' < I would GUESS you suggest this all in jest but 'doing something, even if it is wrong' is not thoughtful decision making but based on knee jerk reaction tendencies and wishful thinking.  It is however sadly the common core thinking of many amateur beekeepers (and quite often in other professions what distinguishes the true professional from the amateurs).

Not just that but I know plenty of people who run to the doctor or even the ER when they find a tick on them. The first thing the physicians do now is give them antibiotics, regardless if they have an infection or not.  So, yes, antibiotics are still handed out. Fact is, honey bees are now classed as livestock and veterinarians are now involved.

> I know folks in places where lyme disease is common and that antibiotic is often prescribed. Given how that disease works I can understand their using antibiotic in this manner. I would however suspect they do not give all the family member a dose just because they found a tick on themselves.  I would also guess you are correct (personally I avoid antibiotics to the times they are absolutely essential... ie confirm by lab work) your description of antibiotic over use builds a pretty good case for why antibiotic resistance is on the rise.  Most of us who have been around commercial bee operation have witnessed antibiotic misuse with the only question being how long will it be before additional regulation are deemed necessary.

Gene in Central Texas