From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:08:47 -0800
>But, if the cappings from extracted frames were used, this would likely
incorporate minimal, if that is possible, contamination by beekeeper applied
pesticides or agriculturally applied pesticides.

Agreed, Mike.  Cappings wax is the cleanest.  However, my point was, that
very little wax in this country is really "clean."  The organic beekeepers
would likely have the cleanest, but I haven't seen actual data.

>Wax-encapsulated spores - It would seem to me that even encapsulated
> spores, if affected by sterilizing temperatures and pressures, would still
> be effectively sterilized.

That was my point, Mike.  Research by Dr Mark Goodwin found that AFB spores
could still be infective after normal wax processing.  However, our long
experience with foundation from rendered combs, many of which included AFB
scale, indicates that the encapsulated spores are rarely infective.

Randy Oliver