From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:45:27 +0100
Hi

Two days ago (June 18th) I looked into a 5 frame nucleus colony
into which I had put a queen cell on 24th May. The queen was
running about on the first frame I pulled out, but was off it by the
time I had it fully out.  I subsequently found her lying on the
floor of the box, apparently undamaged but unmoving.  On
closer examination her antennae were twitching a little but there
was no other movement.  She had clearly been mated OK as
there were three frames of brood in all stages. I left the queen on
a top bar, and came back today (20th June) with a further queen
cell for the colony.  I found the original queen marching round
on a frame, apparently undamaged.

On the grounds that there is nothing new in beekeeping, does
anyone have a reference to this behaviour?  I half recollect
mention of apparent catalepsy as a defensive act by insects, but I
cannot recall where.

Regards

Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE