From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 05:07:00 GMT
JM>From: James Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
  >Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:23:48 -0400
  >Subject:      POLLIN IN SUPERS

JM>I was doing my normal weekly inspection and noticed a bee in the top super
  >with her pollin baskets full.  There was one frame in the top box that has
  >alot of pollin stores.  Does this mean that the brood boxes are too full of
  >brood and they are looking for additional places to get ready for the winter
  > How do I entice the bees to put only honey in the supers?   Jim Meehan
  >  Hampton, VA

The normal position for pollen is adjacent to the brood and close to
the hive entrance. One problem with upper entrances is that the bees
will unload the pollen in the upper suppers even if there is no brood.

Most beekeepers could use more pollen not less, but if it is not in the
proper place for use by the bees it does no good. Some very successful
beekeepers place a 6-5/8 super under the brood super in the late summer
and move it above the brood chamber late in the fall or early in the
spring to encourage early brood rearing. An ideal hive would/could be
three of these 6-5/8 supers that were rotated on a schedule that fit
the beekeepers area. I am sure some areas would need more for winter.

ttul, the OLd Drone
"standard disclaimer for T&A"
---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ Un Dia Tal Vez! (One Day Maybe) a full n^rd node. sp erro