From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:32:31 EST
Ok, here's what I hope may be a fun challenge for the LIST - put on your
thinking caps:

Are bees LIVESTOCK?   And, do bees benefit LIVESTOCK?

In the Forgotten Pollinators, the authors term bees Lilliputian  Livestock.
McGregor also lists bees and the clover, etc. that they  pollinate, which in
turn benefits the feed for livestock like cattle, in his  calculations leading
to the statement that bees have a role in pollinating about  1/3 of what we
eat.

Now, I know that most statistical services (Fed and State) list bees with
LIVESTOCK, and many city ordinances talk about livestock (whether you can/cannot
 keep in the city limits) and include bees.

But, how strong a case can we make FOR bees as LIVESTOCK and as being
Beneficial to LIVESTOCK like cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry?

AND, conversely, can we make a case AGAINST bees as LIVESTOCK or being
BENEFICIAL to LIVESTOCK?

THanks

Jerry
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.