From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 18:56:26 -0700
Hi all

Murray McGregor got me looking at books following his email
of looking at bees for two days to see if wings longer then
body. Glad he found some, but he didn't say if any were
uniformly mated that way or not. Kinda hope he found one.

Have had a few also on biobee reference pictures they too
have looked at, so I decided to post where to find pictures
in a few books I have, and reference the pages/text so if
you too have the books you can look at them for comparison.
These are just a few book more popular in reading. There
are many more out there with pictures.

Problem is, the pictures are not with the texts on
races/strains really depicting what they are. They are just
pictures and many are old pictures just continued to be
used over the years, while the text has been rewritten
numerous times, which I find interesting. You'd think
they'd change both to match the times! But glad they
didn't, for now you can see old picutres of bees taken when
combs used were much smaller, to compare to what you have
today in your hives, to see how uniformly small or large or
mixed sizes your bees are.

I start with  Langstroth on the Hive & Honey Bee, revised
by Chas. and C.P. Dadant, 21st edition, 1922

It opens with pictures opposite title page of drone,queen,
and worker bee reproduced from lithographs of the Barbo
studies, published originally in 1873 in Milan, Italy.

I consider it a good picture series because it has been
reproduced so much to industry, though not noted as bees
from Milan Italy in 1873, in current editions of Hive &
Honey Bee, 1992, page 583.

This would be good IMPOV for those looking for good picture
of Italians with good body perspective as to length of
wings, abdomen for a simple hybrid. yellow/blackish or
brownish (at least more so that what is called so today -
again IMOV).

Then I look at A Manual of Bee-Keeping by E. B. Wedmore,
3rd edition illustrated.

It too opens with a picture opposite the title page of
queen, drone, and worker bee and is of British Black Bees,
after Curtis, from Bagster's "The Management of Bees,"
1834, with bees shown both magnified and natural size.

I consider it a good picture series of small black bees in
general whether for UK or mainland EU or mediterranean area
or even here in our area of USA.

The wings shown of the worker are IMPOV what Allen has been
talking about and I look for uniformly in all subfamilies
when I can find it for grafting my small blacks, though
color markings probably differ a little as I look for
silver hairs on tergits also! But I like the body
perspective shown as to length of wings and abdomen.

When I look at the June issue of Bee Culture on the cover I
see a queen bee for a "tiger-tail" that I have compared to
the 1913 edition of ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture page 469 of
the queen pictured there opposite drone with longer wings
then body and worker with wings about same length.

In the 1920 edition of ABC & XYZ  page 640 you see the same
picture of the bees (pg 469) but on page 112 you see a
different picture of worker and queen with long wings and
different race it looks like.

In Ruttner's Breeding Techniques and Selection for Breeding
of the Honeybee 1988,  on page 142 I see a long winged
worker bee that looks similar to long winged worker bee in
USDA's Beekeeping in the United States, 1980 edition, page
31 of long winged small black worker bee in S. Arizona.
Also on the cover in Ruttner's book, I see what I call a
"Tootsie-roll" queen in coloration.

In the Dark European Honey Bee, 1990, page 50 and page 3
one can see pictures of long winged bees by John Curtis
(1791-1862).

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby