From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:03:06 -0600
> Once the genome of the "Honey bee" has been established, it will be
> then open to manipulation...
> Will this lead to a collection of haphazard organisms being released
> on to the market?

There seems to be an assumption that mapping the genome is associated with
gene manipulation by non-traditional techniques, as in the case of GMO
plants.  There is no such direct linkage.

That type of genetic manipulation has been able to proceed this far in the
absence of genome mapping, and, although, perhaps having a clearer idea of
the function and location of genes might make gene insertion more accurate
and effective, that is not the purpose of the project, nor necessarily a
certain outcome.

We have discussed here the question of genetic manipulation of bees and,
with the high cost and uncertain outcome, combined with a small and
fragmented market -- and no way of controlling propagation -- we concluded
that the idea would not likely attract much capital or talent.

The genome mapping in question here is for purposes of understanding life in
general.  Thus representative species from different branches of life have
been selected, and the honeybee has been chosen because of an number of
factors, one being its social nature.   It is expected that having this map
will result in many new discoveries and applications, and a better
understanding of many organisms, including man.

> My question is how will the information that is gathered be able to
> implemented in a practical way?

The people involved in genetic work state -- as an example not directly
related to the genome project -- that if specific genetic markers and
patterns are known to correlate to specific desirable (or undesirable)
characteristics, that small samples from the larval skin or a tiny fragment
from the foot of a queen believed to carry those characteristics can be
assayed before she is even hatched.  Knowing with certainty the traits
carried by an individual queen can identify immanent errors in breeding
before they happen, and expedite the selection process.

> Will it mean access to a DNA lab
> where we will be able to go to have our bees checked for the correct
> genes?

I gather that Baton Rouge already has this capability, or is working to that
end.  USDA has several other people who routinely do genetic assays on bees
and other organisms of interest to agriculture and apiculture (such as AFB
and SHB).

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/