Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 22:36:25 -0400
> To not be knowledgeable of the difference in hive structures between Italians, Carni, Russian, and Africans (slang definitions) is a bit puzzling at this level.

Well, Walter Sheppard (Steve) has been studying honey bee subspecies for more than 30 years. He even discovered a new one in Kazakstan. So, I pay a lot of attention to what he and his students have learned. Dr. Megan Taylor wrote in her thesis:

* Analysis of molecular variance indicated that there was significant structure when comparing the populations. However, the vast majority of the detected population differentiation (variance) was within individuals (69%). Genetic differentiation between A. m. ligustica and A. m. carnica was not significant. New World strains do not appear to be allied with their progenitors of the Old World, but rather a mix of A. m. ligustica and A. m. carnica.

What this means is there is a lot of genetic difference between colonies, but not according to subspecies. At one time, Italian bees and Carniolans may have been very different from each other, in their original homeland, hundreds of years ago. Not now in the USA. Anyway, your statement "To not be knowledgeable of the difference in hive structures between Italians, Carni, Russian, and Africans" -- WTF is a "hive structure" anyway? Try phenotype.

PLB