Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 08:10:53 -0600
reinstate the inspection program.

 > Seems to me that the 'government', and that includes local and state
governments, as well as the national government, is looking at only
short term fixes or problems. <etc.>

In my experience, government inspection services tend to become corrupt
and deliberately incompetent unless carefully overseen by persons of
unquestioned integrity and staffed by honest and fearless inspectors.

I'll except our current Alberta inspection service for this general
criticism, since I have had a good view from the inside and am impressed
by the personnel and the programme -- and the widespread popular support.

The Alberta inspection programme is largely driven by beekeeper needs
and feedback, with good dialogue between beekeepers and government.
Moreover, Alberta inspection has been largely voluntary with most
beekeepers lining up to pay fees and asking to be inspected!

There are also some aspects that are necessary due to legislation and
public concerns that may not align completely with beekeepers'
preferences, but virtually all Alberta beekeepers agree that all
objectives are in the best interests of the industry and have been
carefully explained and accepted.

In other times, and even now in some other jurisdictions, inspections
have been largely political and mostly decorative.  The abuses range
from incompetence to favouritism, expense padding, looking the other
way, and more.

Any inspection programme needs to have rational and goals reached by
consensus that do not oppress any minority, a person of high competence
and integrity at the head, and a government and beekeeper population
wiling to fund the programme and allow him/her do the job without fear
or favour.

Sadly, this often is not the case.