From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 07:25:08 +1000
> I would guess the primary route that pollen takes to end up in honey is
when beekeepers extract honey from brood combs which have pollen in them.
Many > beekeepers do not segregate brood combs from honey combs. Also, honey
is apt to obtain dust, spores, and pollen from the air, as the supers are
trucked > many miles over dirt roads.

Not necessarily.  Here in Australia we have many honey flows where the bees
take pollen up through the excluder and store in the honey supers.  They cap
the pollen off with honey.  There can be a reasonable quantity of pollen.
The pollen is quite visible in the extracted combs.

As for contamination on the dirt roads, if the supers are covered then this
does not happen.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA

database 6611 (20111108) __________