From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 10:56:16 -0600
On Wed, 26 Apr 1995, Eric Abell wrote:

> I am not in that great a hurry to unwrap as most of the hives appear to
> have lots of feed and it is still cold some nites.  Last night went to -10
> deg. C.  I am not planning on feeding at this time but here is an idea I
> would like you and others to react to.
>
> Since most colonies have ample honey the purpose of feeding would be for
> stimulation.  In most every yard (to be honest - in EVERY yard) I have
> dead colonies.  After unwrapping I stack these brood chambers with room
> for the bees to get at them.  The bees have a place to forage, I don't
> have to rush back with feed and I have less old honey to deal with.  I
> always have enough for brood chambers for splits anyway.

I don't feed for stimulation especially, I want my brood chambers full of
good winter feed early in the season, so that the honey goes into the
supers not the BC's.  Two birds with one stone.

I use 66% syrup and give them all they want.

My BC's are pretty well robbed out by the time I unwrap.

Bees build up better unwrapped as soon as the coldest nights are warmer
than minus ten (C), and you can work on them better.

We split starting May 1.  If you wait longer, they have dwindled from
overpopulation and lack of sources, and splitting gets tough.

Unwrapping early keeps them on the brood, instead of in the neioghbours'
bins and yards, and conserves their lifespan.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka