Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:48:47 EST
Sure, and they work sometimes.  However, there are certain criteria that is
important to follow:

It is best to use a well used hive body rather than a new one, so it has the
smell of
bees in it.  It is best to have some old frames of drawn comb in it.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to have the "bait hive" 10'-12' higher than ground
level, and
in some light shade.  Although we beekeepers keep bees at ground level for
our convenience, feral bees always seek a home 10'-12' above the ground.
Bait hives should be in place a couple of weeks prior to swarm season.
It is preferable to have bait hives nearby the apiary, like 50'-100' away.
Some states, e.g., Maryland, will supply you with prepared chemical pheromone
lures
free of charge; and these placed inside your bait hive definitely help
attract swarms.

I hope I have helped.

George Imirie
EAS Master Beekeeper
Author of George's PINK PAGES
Beginning my 70th year of beekeeping in Maryland