From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:06:49 +0200
-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]På vegne af [log in to unmask]
Sendt: 9. august 2000 06:43
Til: [log in to unmask]
Emne: Overwintering Nucs

Hello:

styrofoam this year. Are there any Northern beekeepers out there with
experience and advice for this technique?

I am living in Denmark and are using styropor hives allover in my
beekeeping.(langstroth size)

our temperature in winther is an avereage of 0 degree celsius most winthers.

I divide a box into three with a queen and bees on three frames in each.
This box is places on top of a strong hive seperated with a piece of clear
plastic. Each nuc of course have an entry to the free.

this way the nuc's got the warm from below when spring development take
place.

in the spring I use the queens as reserve queens, and then let the one nuc
without a queen run together with one nuc with a queen. When I have used the
two of the three queens I take the rest and start a normal hive with those.

the result I have had is not 100% overwintering but around 80%. I always aim
after replacing a third of my queens in the spring. and spare queens are
always god to have in the spring.

best regards
Jorn Johanesson

New beekeing software and updates also beekeeping software for handheld
computers.

http://apimo.dk/programs/Bidata_palm2.zip for Palm compatible OS see
http://apimo.dk/whatsnew.htm

http://apimo.dk/programs/bidatawin95_98_update3.exe

EDBi = Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

home page = HTTP:\\apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>