From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 06:55:50 -0700
>I have been having a heck of a time to encourage my bees to accept queen
excluders (metal).
 Eliese, I suspect that you are attempting to get bees to work foundation
placed above an excluder.  This is really difficult, as it goes against bee
behavior.  A colony will generally fill every drawn cell below the excluder
before they will work foundation above.

One trick is to reverse your bottom brood chambers to remove the honey band
between the broodnest and the super.  Or bait the super, as you tried, with
drawn comb.

In any case, do not expect bees to work up into foundation unless they are
shaking nectar and there is white wax being produced.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA