From:
Darrells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:18:18 -0500
Several years ago I went to check some of my bees at the back of a friend's
farm.  It was a warm day in late February.  I was shocked because I
couldn't find the hives.  I noticed bees flying out of a hole in the snow
and realized that I was standing on top of my hives.  The hives were
covered with 6 feet of drifted snow.  The snow was melted around the hives
leaving an air space about one foot wider than the hive.  All the hives
survived that winter.  Wind is a far bigger problem for honey bees and snow
can help protect the hives when the trees in your windbreak are defoliated.
Located in Caedon Ontario, Canada (80 west 43 45' north)