From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:49:47 -0700

> >What I posted was a direct quote from a report co-authored by Ben
> Oldroyd, who is one of the smartest researchers I have met.
>
> I also know Ben and was not in the least disputing his intelligence.

> > Few bee breeding programmes have been successful in the long term,
> constrained by limited progress in trait improvement, the detrimental
> effects of inbreeding and poor returns on investment.

The above was not referring to the hugely successful breeding programmes in
Australia that maintain the commercial stocks that are so different from
the feral stock.  It was referring to the business success of maintaining
certain specific traits.

The same occurs here in the U.S.  Few beekeepers liked the largely "German
black" feral stocks that used to be common--they were just too nasty. They
preferred gentler "yellow" Italian types or dark "Carniolan" types.
Breeders have no trouble in maintaining such stocks.  That is a clear
example of the success of bee breeding programs.  But they are successful
because they are providing what beekeepers are willing to pay for.

To date, the bee industry as a whole has not embraced some other traits,
and thus they have not successfully "taken hold."

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA