Fri, 28 May 1999 17:04:34 PDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Walt in Martin SC wrote

> One for minor wounds, says instead of
> rubbing on antibacterial ointment to cuts and scrapes use honey, says
> speeds healing, and moisturizes skin at the same time.
> Use pasterized honey though.

I would question the use of pasturised honey for use on cuts and scrapes.  According to the people doing the research on anti-bacterial properties of honey, the honey used should not be heated.  This is because if the honey has natural peroxide activity, and this is one property that helps heal wounds, this will be removed by heating.  Not all honeys have natural peroxide activity.  They have to be tested to show that they have this property.

Those honeys such as manuka in New Zealand and jellybush in Australia which have very good antibacterial properties have something else other than peroxide.  This is not always present in the honey either.  In Australia you can have honey from the same floral source, jellybush, from different areas and one will be active and the other not.  No one seems to know the reason why.  I believe that it is the same for manuka.

Other honeys that do not have peroxide or activity, such as the manuka and jellybush, can maybe help with healing.  Reasons could be the low ph or the high "sugar" content.

I don't claim to know all about these properties and our scientists tell us that they are only starting to get some hard data now.  There is a long way to go but it is certainly promising.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2